Dean, School of Pharmacy
Academic Career & Executive Search is pleased to assist South University in its search for Dean, School of Pharmacy.
For full consideration, please apply by June 23rd.
This is an exciting opportunity for a collaborative and dynamic leader to join a growing and well supported Pharmacy program at South University. The next Dean will serve in a highly visible role, continuing to build on the momentum and growth of the program. The next Dean will accelerate and enrich the School of Pharmacy by leading excellence in education, practice, research, community service, and workforce preparation. The Dean will have a demonstrated record of integrity, fairness, and transparency, along with a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
The Dean ensures program content and delivery are consistently of high quality, achieves high student program persistence, is responsible for achieving annual budgeted enrollment plan and establishes/assesses student learning outcomes; facilitates the sharing of best practices between campus faculty, and balances local campus interests with program imperatives and the needs of the discipline.
The Dean of the School of Pharmacy reports to the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs and Savannah Campus President, is a senior member of the faculty, and serves as the chief academic officer for the School of Pharmacy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Articulate and implement a vision/plan for School of Pharmacy development/expansion in support of South University’s growth and competitive position.
- Assure that faculty possess appropriate credentials, develop professionally, contribute to campus and School academic operations, and share and use best practices.
- In partnership with campus academic leaders, develop robust conceptual frameworks, student learning outcomes, and both direct and indirect measures to assess and improve the quality of all programs.
- Achieves high student course and program persistence.
- Achieves annual budgeted enrollment plan.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of innovative and in demand SOP program initiatives.
- Lead annual reviews of curriculum and program effectiveness.
- As appropriate, develop curriculum for new programs in a timely manner.
- Work productively with all within the School and serve as an advisor, mentor and coach.
- Report as required on status of program quality and the effectiveness of the School, including the achievement of outcomes, student retention, curriculum currency and rigor, faculty performance and credentials, and adequacy of academic support services.
- Approve and endorse School of Pharmacy appointments and set credentialing standards for faculty.
- Actively work to maintain ACPE accreditation of the School.
- Conduct on-site evaluations and monitor annual reviews of all faculty members within the department.
- Supervise curriculum changes for the School as deemed necessary.
- Develop curricular and policy revisions as requested by the Vice Chancellor-Academic Academic
- Maintain a positive faculty, staff and student climate within the School of Pharmacy.
- Prepare the annual budget for all locations and monitor monthly expenditures.
- Adhere to university policies as described in the South University Employee Handbook; Faculty Supplement to the Employee Handbook, Dean- School of Pharmacy job description, or other separate guidelines.
- Play an integral role in the new student recruitment process and program growth of all programs within the School of Pharmacy.
- Serve the School and University on committees as requested by the Vice-Chancellor-Academic Affairs or Campus President.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor-Academic Affairs or Campus President.
- Successful candidates must have a Pharm.D., Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant academic discipline.
- A minimum of three years of successful experience in a formal academic leadership position in a school / college of pharmacy.
- Experience in leading accreditation processes.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational, financial and teamwork skills.
- Excellent priority management skills.
- Ability to effectively use data for communication and decision-support.
About the Institution
South University is an academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population.
To achieve this purpose, the institution offers focused and balanced programs at the associate’s, baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral levels. A broad-based core curriculum is offered, promoting critical thinking, effective verbal and written communication, and skills for life-long learning. Additionally, the University focuses on developing the requisites to appreciate knowledge as well as a pursuit of lifelong learning.
South University’s approach to higher education and the resulting flexible academic experiences provide students with the intellectual insight and sensible approach necessary to create the foundation for personal and professional fulfillment. South University has a goal to provide a comprehensive education that instills within its students a philosophy that values not only learning and professionalism, but also contribution and commitment to the advancement of community.
Believing that qualified individuals should have the privilege of formal academic training, South University welcomes those who seek educational challenges. To this end, the University provides a learning environment, both on campus and online, that helps students identify goals and the means to achieve them. With this philosophy in mind, students learn by interacting with a community of faculty, staff, and administration dedicated to South University’s academic purpose.
Living in the Area
With a population of 150,000, Savannah is the oldest city in the state of Georgia, enjoying history and architecture dating back over 200 years. Savannah’s Spanish moss-draped buildings, thriving arts scene, warm summers and mild winters have drawn tens of thousands to the Hostess City and the wider metropolitan area over the last two decades. It is Georgia's fifth-largest city and the Savannah metropolitan area, Georgia's third largest, had a 2020 population of over 400,000.
Nestled on the salt marshes of coastal Georgia, the state’s oldest city continues to attract new residents with its low cost of living and historic charm. The cost of living in Savannah is 10% lower than the national average. However, what sets Savannah apart the most is the fact that housing in the area is 33% lower than the national average. Additionally, the Savannah metropolitan area has seen a population explosion in recent years, bolstered by Gulfstream Aerospace Corp.’s headquarters, located just outside of the growing city.
For full consideration, please apply by June 23rd.
To be viewed by the search firm, you must apply directly at: https://acesrch.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a21esjy7l8ry
Please apply through the application link and do not email applications.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received and should include a cover letter and curriculum vitae. Ideally cover letters should not exceed two pages. All applications are treated confidentially.
Inquiries, referrals, and nominations are also treated confidentially.
Inquiries and questions: Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations and referrals: Please send the nominees’ name, title, and contact information if available to email@example.com
Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
Institution’s EEO Statement
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.