Clinical Pharmacy Specialist – Perioperative & Surgical Services
Orlando Health Jewett Orthopedic Institute (OHJOI) is an orthopedic surgery hospital with 75 inpatient beds and 11 operating rooms attached to the 808-bed Level 1 Trauma Center at Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical Center (OHORMC). This new clinical pharmacy specialist position will be dedicated to optimizing patient care throughout the perioperative continuum of care (pre-admission testing, pre-operative, intra-operative, PACU).
Facility and Department Overview
OHORMC is the flagship hospital of Orlando Health, one of Florida’s most comprehensive not-for-profit health systems. OHJOI is located on the same campus and connected to OHORMC and will be served by OHORMC Pharmacy Services.
- OHORMC is Central Florida’s only Level I Trauma Center and one of the busiest trauma centers in Florida.
- OHJOI cares for over 250,000 patients annually and has more than 70 years of experience in orthopedic care.
- Orlando Health has more than 250 Medical Residents and Fellows
- Orlando Health pharmacy departments serve as training centers for 5 PGY-1 Pharmacy Residents, 2 PGY-2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residents, 1 PGY-2 Emergency Medicine Pharmacy Resident, 1 PGY-2 Oncology Pharmacy Resident, and 1-2 PGY-2 Pediatric Residents
OHORMC / OHJOI Pharmacy Department:
- Over 100 Pharmacy Department team members providing services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Clinical pharmacy specialists (PGY-2 trained or PGY-1 with equivalent experience) in the areas of Infectious Diseases, Medical Critical Care, Surgical Critical Care, Neurocritical Care, Surgery/Trauma, Nutrition Support, Emergency Medicine, Hematology/Oncology, and Internal Medicine.
- The majority of Clinical Staff Pharmacists are PGY-1 Residency Trained
- Decentralized and satellite services specializing in Critical Care, Burn/Trauma, Intermediate Critical Care, Cardiology, Orthopedics, Surgery, Medicine, Oncology and the Operating Room.
- CPOE / EPIC, Alaris Smart IV Pumps, SwissLog BoxPicker, Omnicell
- Drug Information Center, Pharmacy Intranet Resources, Antimicrobial Stewardship Team
- Extensive New Hire Orientation and Ongoing Staff Education Programs
- Excellent Benefits plus Competitive Salary
This Perioperative and Surgical Services position offers an excellent opportunity to directly impact patient care and medication safety.
- New position focusing on a quality-improvement driven projects to improve patient care for orthopedic and surgical patients across the entire continuum of perioperative care (from pre-admission testing to discharge support)
- Opportunity to develop a new pharmacy service line, identify and implement perioperative projects / protocols / guidelines / order sets and build relationships with a diverse group of multidisciplinary specialists that ultimately improve patient care.
- Actively participate in patient care in surgical areas (including ACLS/code response, rapid sequence intubation (RSI), difficult airway response team (DART)) as well as serving as the pharmacy / drug information resource to the multidisciplinary team
- Provide support for the training of orthopedic surgery residents and fellows and pharmacy residents.
- Collaboration on various multidisciplinary and corporate committees, including but not limited to, anesthesia department meetings, orthopedic surgery department meetings, and surgical quality
- Serve as a mentor and drug information specialist for a growing decentralized clinical pharmacy staff.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary clinical translational research projects and provide education to orthopedic and surgical staff.
- Opportunities to precept and serve as an advisor on projects and presentations for PGY-1 pharmacy residents, PGY-2 Critical Care, and PGY-2 Emergency Medicine, as well as pharmacy students.
Doctor of Pharmacy degree plus one of the following criteria:
- Completion of PGY-1 residency in addition to 3+ years of hospital practice
- Completion of PGY-2 residency (critical care or internal medicine preferred)
- Five or more years of hospital practice experience OR experience, preferred, but not required.
- Florida pharmacy licensure eligibility required