Assistant Professor of Pharmacy – Tenure Track
- University of New Mexico, College of Pharmacy
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- base compensation + benefits
- Closing date
- Feb 10, 2023
- Position Type
- Specialty Area
- Work Setting
- College / University
Assistant Professor of Pharmacy – Tenure Track University of New Mexico, College of Pharmacy
Department of Pharmacy Practice and Administrative Sciences
The University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy is seeking an exceptional applicant to join our faculty. This is a 12-month tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor Level. Individuals engaged in all types of clinical and translational research – from molecular to clinical to community and population level investigations are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will be expected to grow an established extramurally funded research program (NIH level or equivalent) and provide instruction to undergraduate (B.S.), professional (Pharm.D.) and graduate students (M.S., Ph.D.). Additional responsibilities include contributing to the vision, mission, and strategic plan of the College; mentoring, supervising and evaluating the activities and performance of students, residents, and support staff as appropriate. The individual will be expected to collaborate with other faculty and share the University and College’s values.
Research Collaboration Opportunities and Expectations
- The UNM College of Pharmacy is part of the Health Sciences campus in the State’s largest health complex. It ranks 6th among 143 US Colleges of Pharmacy in National Institutes of Health (NIH) research funding. This position offers excellent clinical and translational research opportunities and collaborations within a wide breadth of areas including health disparities, infectious diseases, cardiovascular, and metabolic health, mental health and substance abuse, maternal and child health, developmental psychology, pharmacokinetics/pharmacodynamics, and environmental health / toxicology. There are opportunities to engage with large programmatic research areas, including the newly funded NIEHS P30 Center, New Mexico Integrative Science Program Incorporating Research in Environmental Sciences (NM-INSPIRES) which supports basic and translational research pertaining to toxicology and environmentally-induced diseases, UNM Center for Metals in Biology and Medicine, the UNM Metals Exposure and Toxicity Assessment on Tribal Lands in the Southwest Superfund Research Program, the UNM Center for Native Environmental Health Equity Research, Substance Use Research and Education (SURE) Center, HEALthy Brain and Child Development (HBCD) initiative, and the NIDA Southwest Clinical Trial Network Node. Additional opportunities for collaboration exist with University investigators affiliated with the Comprehensive Cancer Center, the School of Medicine, the Clinical and Translational Sciences Center, the Project ECHO Telehealth program, and the Center for Biomedical Engineering, as well as researchers outside of UNM at the Lovelace Biomedical Research Institute, the MIND Research Network, and Sandia and Los Alamos National Laboratories. In addition to establishing a competitive research program, the successful candidate in a tenure track position is expected to contribute to the scholarly and service missions of the College.
- The UNM College of Pharmacy is dedicated to addressing the needs of the underserved and vulnerable communities of New Mexico. Specific opportunities exist to undertake impactful research on health disparities among the many Hispanic/Latina and Native American communities. The rural populations of New Mexico are further disadvantaged by poor access to health care, in addition to high prevalence of substance use disorders, mental health disparities, and unique occupational and environmental health challenges. Candidates with specific interests in addressing issues related to health disparities and working with vulnerable populations are encouraged to apply.
A Profile of the UNM College of Pharmacy
Located in the historically rich and culturally diverse Southwest, the College of Pharmacy is part of the Health Sciences campus and works collaboratively with the School of Medicine, College of Nursing, College of Population Health, UNM Hospitals, and UNM Cancer Research and Treatment Center in the state’s largest health complex. The College holds the distinction of having one of the most ethnically diverse student body in the nation. Unique programs within the College include the New Mexico Poison and Drug Information Center and the oldest training program in nuclear pharmacy in the country.
UNM offers exciting opportunities for inter-professional practice, research, and education. The College has 53 faculty and 474 preceptors throughout the state. Strong partnerships with the New Mexico Pharmacists Association, New Mexico Society of Health-System Pharmacists, and the New Mexico Board of Pharmacy have created disease state management programs and innovative practice opportunities, including advanced practice pharmacists (pharmacist clinicians) and pharmacists with independent prescriptive authority. The College ranks 6th in NIH research funding and 22nd in overall research funding among the Colleges of Pharmacy in the United States. In addition to a stimulating academic environment, the College is located in Albuquerque, in the Sandia Mountain valley. With more than 310 days of sunshine a year, Albuquerque has year-round recreational opportunities from skiing in high alpine mountains to hiking and biking across a varied terrain.
- Earned PharmD, PharmD/PhD, PhD, MD/DO degree or equivalent in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Evidence of an innovative research focus that is competitive for extramural funding, as demonstrated by research trajectory, manuscripts, success in funding, and research plan.
- A demonstrated record of teaching experience at the graduate, undergraduate, or professional level.
- Research focus that can synergize with current programmatic strengths of the College.
- Demonstrated record of mentoring in a relevant academic environment with diverse groups of students.
- Record of research productivity, as evidenced by peer reviewed publications and other scholastic activities.
- Completed post-doctoral training, residency, fellowship, and/or faculty experience in a relevant scientific discipline.
- Potential for leadership and collaborative interactions.
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and student success, as well as working with broadly diverse communities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
For best consideration applications must be received by 02/08/2023 however the position will remain open until filled.
How to Apply: A complete application consists of: (1) current curriculum vitae; (2) a signed letter of interest that addresses each minimum and preferred qualification for the position; (3) a brief (2-3 page) research plan addressing proposed activities for the first three years; and (4) the names, addresses and contact information for three references.
For complete details of this position and to apply, access Faculty Posting at: https://unmjobs.unm.edu/ Reference Posting Req22718.
For inquiries regarding this position, please contact Anne DiBello, AaDibello@salud.unm.edu 505- 272-0369.
UNM's confidentiality policy ("Disclosure of Information about Candidates for Employment," UNM Board of Regents' Policy Manual 6.7), which included information about public disclosure of documents submitted by applicants, is located at https://policy.unm.edu/regents-policies/section- 6/6-7.html
The University of New Mexico has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement for UNM students and employees. For detailed information, visit https://bringbackthepack.unm.edu/vaccine/vaccine-requirement.html
The University of New Mexico is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert