Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist (AHWFB) is currently searching for motivated candidates for an Infectious Diseases Clinical Pharmacist. This position is an integral part of a large pharmacy team and progressive group of pharmacy leaders who provide comprehensive pharmacy services throughout the medical center. The Department of Pharmacy’s goal is to enhance its pharmacy operations, advance clinical pharmacy programs, and expand interdisciplinary patient centered care services and pharmacy residency programs.
Since 1982, the Infectious Diseases Clinic at Wake Forest has provided HIV medical care for a patient population with multiple co-morbidities and significant psychosocial complexity. As one of the largest HIV providers in the state, comprehensive HIV care is provided in the clinic, including primary medical care, full laboratory services, psychology, nutrition, and supportive services. A number of infectious diseases requiring antimicrobial therapies are managed by clinical pharmacist practitioners working in the clinic, including HIV, hepatitis B and C, mycobacterial infections, and infections requiring long-term intravenous and oral antibiotics.
The Infectious Diseases Clinical Pharmacist will:
• Proficiently provide direct patient-centered care in all aspects of the medication-use system while providing comprehensive and individualized pharmaceutical care.
Provide care on a rotating basis among three service areas: Infectious Disease Clinic/Outpatient Antimicrobial Therapy, Inpatient Infectious Disease Consults, and Antimicrobial Stewardship. The pharmacist will be an integral member of a team of clinicians who operationalize prior authorization of restricted antimicrobials for the health system.
• Collaborate with infectious diseases physicians, pharmacy clinical directors/managers, infection prevention, clinical microbiology staff and other professionals.
• Develop interventional strategies to maximize appropriate anti-infective utilization and improvement in patient outcomes, including but not limited to guidelines, clinical pathways, restriction criteria, policy development, new laboratory methods and formulary management
• Establish a means to report and monitor ongoing anti-infective utilization and identified metrics showing effectiveness of the health-system stewardship program
• Identify opportunities for improvement regarding anti-infective use, including but not limited to performing medication use evaluations, conducting clinical outcomes research, and leading quality improvement projects.
• Provide ongoing education to pharmacists, physicians, and other clinicians throughout AHWFB by developing educational materials and competencies
• Serve as a preceptor for the PGY1 Pharmacy, the PGY2 Infectious Disease, and other residency programs
• Provide experiential mentorship for Doctor of Pharmacy Students
• Participate in hospital committees, interdisciplinary collaboration, integrated operational support, and departmental leadership
• External presentations, publications, and professional speaking is strongly encouraged and supported
Position requirements include:
1. Education: Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an ACPE accredited College of Pharmacy
2. Clinical training and experience: PGY1 Pharmacy residency and PGY2 Infectious Disease residency or fellowship are preferred. At least 2 years of clinical experience in infectious disease pharmacy practice, including HIV care, may be considered in lieu of formal training, and exceptional aptitude or knowledge may be considered in lieu of experience.
3. Licensure/certifications: Licensed or eligibility for licensure to practice pharmacy in the state of North Carolina is required. Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS) certification is preferred (BCPS or BCIDP). Eligibility for Clinical Pharmacist Practitioner (CPP) approval is preferred.
Benefits include a competitive salary, excellent health insurance, retirement package, and support for professional travel and professional development.
Interested applicants must apply online via http://www.wakehealth.edu/HR/
. Please contact Meredith Hollinger, PharmD, BCPS, Pharmacy Director II, Acute Care Clinical Services via email at email@example.com
with any questions. Confidential inquiries and nominations may be directed to Lauren Way, Talent Acquisitions, at firstname.lastname@example.org