Job Posting Title:
Director of Experiential Education and Assistant/Associate or Professor of Practice of Clinical Sciences
Director of Experiential Education (DEE) (50%/0.5FTE) and Assistant/Associate Professor or Professor of Practice of Clinical Sciences (50%/0.5FTE)
The Director of Experiential Education will have primary responsibility within the Office of Experiential Education for evaluating clinical sites, developing preceptors, and providing oversight for quality assurance. This includes working with the healthcare community to develop partnerships and sites for faculty and student placements. The DEE works with the Chair of Clinical and Administrative Sciences to identify and acquire new practice sites for faculty and create affiliation agreements for rotations. The DEE is responsible for routine site visits, at least annually for existing clinical sites, twice a year to health systems, once every other year to community pharmacies for quality assurance, recording the site visit information, and preceptor development. Both the DEE and Associate Dean of Experiential Education (ADEE) for Pharmacy serve as the major voices and students' points of contact for their respective experiential activities. The Assistant/Associate Professor or Professor of Practice of Clinical Sciences will participate in teaching and service with or without scholarship requirements. When not conducting clinical site visits and attending events on KGI’s behalf, the DEE is required to work on-site.
Keck Graduate Institute (KGI) was founded in 1997 as the first higher education institution in the United States dedicated exclusively to education and research related to the applied life sciences. KGI offers innovative postgraduate degrees and certificates that integrate life and health sciences, business, pharmacy, engineering, and genetics, focusing on industry projects, hands-on industry experiences, and team collaborations. KGI employs an entrepreneurial approach and industry connections that allow students to become leaders in healthcare and the applied life sciences.
Located in beautiful Claremont, California, Keck Graduate Institute is a member of the prestigious Claremont Colleges, a consortium of five undergraduate liberal arts colleges, two graduate institutions, and The Claremont Colleges Services, which provide shared institutional support services. We seek to build an inclusive program that can engage the interests of a diverse population.
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate should have a Pharm.D. from an accredited college of pharmacy. Candidates must be licensed or eligible for licensure in California. Clinical experience in general pharmacy practice is preferred. Candidates with previous experience in experiential education and teaching Doctor of Pharmacy students that complement the strengths of KGI will be given preference.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Individuals must possess knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of the position, or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions may be performed, with or without, reasonable accommodations, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Supports and participates in accreditation activities as required in cooperation with the Associate Deans and the Dean of the School
- Serves as a liaison between preceptors, staff, and students in matters involving experiential education. This includes but is not limited to:
- Disseminating information regarding the experiential program
- Handling difficulties with preceptors or students on rotation
- Achieving strategic initiatives, goals, and objectives
- Follow all policies and procedures
- Maintains a buffer of 15 to 20% of the core and elective rotations above the minimum number of rotations needed per year, dependent on the size of each class.
- Maintains a list and a current copy of all contracts and renewals.
- Secures affiliation agreements for experiential education sites by ensuring the agreement language meets all KGI obligations before submitting to the Dean of SPHS for signature.
- Conducts and supervises routine site visits.
- Plans, develops, and delivers preceptor development.
- Identifies procedures to recognize preceptors for excellence in precepting students.
- Participates in professional affairs activities of local, state and national pharmacy organizations.
- Provides oversight for assignment and management of experiential education schedules for all students.
- Participates in teaching as appropriate to faculty appointment in area(s) of expertise.
- This position is not eligible for buy-out of Experiential education workload or teaching buy out.
- Experience delivering active, innovative, and high-caliber learning experiences in relevant areas of expertise.
- Participates in faculty governance, contributes to the service needs of the college, serves on various committees, participates in the accreditation process, and participates in co-curricular activities within the school.
- Engages in service to the profession and community.
- Provides academic advising/mentoring for PharmD students and support their personal and professional development.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Individuals must possess knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential function of the position or be able to explain or demonstrate how the essential functions may be performed, with or without reasonable accommodations, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective collaborative relationships with preceptors, faculty, and administration.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent time management skills and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team of highly motivated and experienced individuals.
- Honesty, integrity, and commitment to maintaining high professional standards.
- A valid driver’s license or equivalent means of reliable transportation to off-site meetings and events is required.
Keck Graduate Institute has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) and Influenza Vaccination Program covering all employees and students. Employees must submit proof of vaccination, an Institute-approved exception, or deferral to comply with the policy.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
Ability to maintain good concentration while dealing with interruptions; attention to details with emphasis on accuracy; capable of giving, receiving, and analyzing information, formulating work plans, and articulating goals and action plans.
Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time. Standing for extended periods of time. Ability to hear within normal parameters. Ability to bend and stoop (e.g., to file). Ability to move about. Ability to lift and carry short distances up to 20 lbs. (e.g., to lift or move office supplies, files, books and packages).
A confidential review of applications, nominations, and expressions of interest will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. To be ensured full consideration, please submit a cover letter highlighting your professional experience; a complete CV outlining your career and educational credentials; and three professional references (including their names, relationship to you, their position, email, and direct phone numbers). Minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Keck Graduate Institute is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against qualified employees or applicants based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable state or federal law. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to all persons in all terms and conditions of employment. KGI strongly encourages candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.