Job Description Summary
Responsible for the provision of safe, effective, appropriate and cost-effective antimicrobial therapy to patients in the area of Infectious Diseases within multiple hospitals. This is a regional coordinator position which comes with requirements outside of an AMS/ID clinical pharmacy specialist role such as program work with formulary, policy, education and regulatory)
- Performs job responsibilities in accordance with organizational and departmental policies and procedures, performance improvement objectives and environmental/infection control standards.
- Develops and implements processes to comply with the Joint Commission and regulatory requirements.
- Identifies opportunities for process improvements, develops and implements policy and procedures for prompt, safe and efficient patient care.
- Coordinates Antimicrobial Stewardship program efforts across assigned hospital(s) in collaboration with the Medical Directors.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of antimicrobial treatment algorithms and order sets based on best practices, Infectious Disease Society of America (IDSA) guidelines, and other evidence-based information to aid prescribers in selecting the appropriate antimicrobial agents, doses, routes of administration and durations.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of system and regional guidelines, policies, protocols and other monitoring and intervention strategies for antimicrobial use to streamline prophylactic, empiric, and definitive antimicrobial therapy.
- Coordinates, facilitates, and promotes education, training, and performance improvement of other healthcare professionals on the appropriate use of antimicrobials.
- Serves as an Antimicrobial Stewardship resource to clinical staff; assists clinical staff pharmacists with therapeutic monitoring, patient assessments, interpretation of lab values, and pharmacokinetic calculations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.