Pain Management Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
- St. Mary Medical Center
- Langhorne, Pennsylvania
- 49.50/hour – 76.75/hour dependent upon experience
- Closing date
- Nov 21, 2022
- Position Type
- Staff Pharmacist
- Specialty Area
- Pain Management and Palliative Care
- Work Setting
- Health System
This pharmacist would collaborate with all providers regarding the pain management needs of their patients.
· In order to accomplish this broad scope of practice, this position would collaborate with Pain Management Physicians, Anesthesia and Palliative care to establish comprehensive approaches to all aspects of pain that present to St Mary Medical Center.
· The position would also account for the local needs in coordinating Trinity standards as standardization of technology, protocols and workflow occur over time.
· In general, activities in this role would include but are not limited to: evaluating, monitoring and modifying drug therapy as necessary, providing recommendations to optimize patient outcomes, identifying safety issues, ensuring cost effectiveness as well as providing drug information for medical personnel.
· Review patient pain medication profiles to provide safe and effective pain management therapy in an evidence-based manner; assessing appropriate indication, drug selection, and duration of therapy; making adjustments/recommendations to prescriber as needed.
· Communicate with patients (and/or families) to obtain necessary information, address patient/family concerns/questions, and provide education on pharmacotherapy.
· Perform post-operative opioid stewardship, ensure appropriate opioid prescribing on discharge, create limits on opioid ordering based on procedure
· Develop an opioid stewardship program; responsibilities include but are not limited to: managing complicated pain regimens (opioid tolerant or PCA), medication reconciliation of high alert opioid patients, develop pain management policies and procedures, ensure compliance with Joint Commission standards, develop pharmacist competency in pain management, monitor, review, and remove unnecessary pain therapy as appropriate, monitor for adverse events/reactions, make adjustments to avoid adverse events/reactions, manage opioid order sets.
· Review all patient profiles for drug-drug, drug-supplement, and drug-food interactions and makes appropriate recommendations.
· Routinely provides prescribers and patients with proper information for the safe and effective use of medications.
· Maintains current knowledge necessary to provide pharmacy services of the highest standards.
· Effectively communicates with other pharmacists and members of the healthcare team in a professional manner.
· Collaborates with other healthcare professionals to ensure optimal patient care by incorporating evidence-based practice and recommendations.
· Demonstrates assertiveness when communicating evidence-based recommendations to critical care clinicians.
· Utilizes clinical time effectively.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Directs the education and supervision of pharmacy students as appropriate.
· Document interventions
· Report medication errors related to high alert pain medications
· Provide support to pharmacist/medical resident questions
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert