JOB SUMMARY: At Houston Methodist, the Senior Pharmacy Clinical Specialist is responsible for performing expert clinical pharmacist duties enabling the delivery of optimal pharmacotherapy to patients and facilitating safe, efficacious, and pharmacoeconomically rational use of medications in the population(s) served. This involves daily medication therapy regimen reviews of patients within designated area(s) of responsibility or targeted populations served. This position provides education to fellow pharmacists, nursing and medical staffs, and others inside and outside the department while conducting CQI evaluations, and basic research promoting the safe, effective use of medications. Additional duties include precepting pharmacy students and pharmacy residents on clinical patient care rotations within areas of responsibility and contributing to fulfilling the organization’s mission to provide innovative, personalized, cost-effective pharmaceutical care in a culture dedicated to quality and safety. ***THIS POSITION WILL WORK IN ONCOLOGY***
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 15%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
- Serves as a mentor for Clinical Specialists and pharmacy residents on research projects. Precepts ASHP-accredited residency program residents, and students from affiliated colleges of pharmacy. (EF)
- Develops educational materials and provides educational programs for the pharmacy staff and other hospital personnel.
SERVICE - 20%
- Processes all orders/requests accurately and efficiently, verifying appropriateness of all drugs in reference to the patient’s diagnosis, allergies, height and weight. Exercises good judgment in patient care decisions per performance standard and documents patient care activities and patient outcomes as impacted by pharmaceutical care and clinical interventions. (EF)
- Provides patient-specific and non-patient specific drug information support regularly. (EF)
- Serves as a pharmacy lead on policy and procedure reviews and responds timely to audit reports within areas of responsibility.
- Serves as a member on one or more Medical Staff Committees and actively contributes to accomplishing the goals of the committee or subcommittee. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 35%
- Participates in developing medication therapy/disease state management protocols and/or dosing guidelines within specialty area. (EF)
- Provides pharmaceutical care in designated practice area(s) to patients from an advanced to expert level. Activities include, but are not limited to, proactive drug therapy reviews and monitoring, patient counseling, transitions of care including medication acquisition process support, and management of pharmacist based dosing protocols.
- Leads internal HM quality management and research program(s). Develops, implements, evaluates, and drafts reports of quality assurance program outcomes and conducts pharmacy research in concert with the departmental goals and objectives. (EF)
- Serves as an on-call resource in assigned roles as determined by manager (e.g. ID Stewardship, Investigational drugs, or general clinical).
FINANCE - 15%
- Contributes to the evaluation of medications for the HM Formulary, and provision of pharmacoeconomically sound medication in area(s) of responsibility and avoiding medication-related complications. Participates in HM committees and initiatives involving medication use for the optimization of pharmacoeconomic benefits. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and for specialty area of focus. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Contributes regularly to intra-departmental, interdepartmental publications. Supports the Department’s ACPE delivery mission by providing ACPE programs and when needed, mentoring residents’ preparation of ACPE programs. (EF)
- Participates in research projects to advance the pharmacy department’s goals and the pharmacy profession. Submits research and scholarly work for publication, platform presentations, and/or poster presentations. Gives presentations at local, state and national meetings; including in-services presentations to pharmacy, medical, nursing, and nutrition staff in area(s) of responsibility. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Sr. Clinical Specialist. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section
o Must have one of the following:
o Successful completion of ASHP-accredited post graduate year 1 (PGY-1) and year 2 (PGY-2) residency training programs or equivalent professional experience (i.e., three additional years of pharmacy experience per residency year; completion of a pharmacy fellowship program with a focus in an applicable field may be considered equivalent to a PGY2 residency)
o Six years of clinical practice experience
o Three years of experience as a HM Clinical Specialist
o Meets HM standards of an ASHP-Qualified Residency Preceptor
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
o Texas Pharmacist License or eligible for Texas Pharmacist License; must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification within 90 days of employment
o American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) within 90 days of employment for pharmacists regularly assigned to respond to code blue events (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
o Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification and training within 90 days of employment as determined by entity need (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
o Texas Pharmacist Preceptor Certification within 90 days of employment
o Sterile Compounding and Aseptic Technique (SCAT) and horizontal and/or vertical use Certification within 90 days of employment (*If verifying and/or preparing any sterile product- See manager for details and tracking certification information)
o Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute Certificate within 90 days of employment (See manager for details and tracking information)
o Board of Pharmacy Specialist (BPS) Certification preferred