Director, Clinical Pharmacy Services
Join a world-class academic healthcare system, UChicago Medicine, as the Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services. Guiding all things clinical in the Department of Pharmacy, we are seeking a visionary leader to guide a highly engaged pharmacist team towards achieving maximum positive patient outcomes. At UChicago Medicine we have several layers of superb pharmacists that support clinical pharmacy (Specialists, Clinical Pharmacists, Residents, Students, etc.) The teams directly reporting to this leader include: Internal Medicine/Hospitalists, Solid Organ Transplant, Cardiology, Critical Care, Infectious Diseases/ASP, and Emergency Medicine. The reach of this director does not stop there. Other clinical groups reporting through a different structure include: Pediatrics, Oncology, Ambulatory, Ingalls Memorial Hospital. The Director will build productive and collaborative relationships to consider a larger view of the pharmacy enterprise’s approach to clinical matters.
The Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services is a registered pharmacist who functions as both a clinician and director dedicated to providing support of medication use systems and delivery of optimal medication therapy throughout the medical center. The Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services is responsible for identifying, evaluating, and implementing specific pharmacy services which should be provided to patients, including clinical process improvements, redesign of clinical pharmacy services, integration of clinical pharmacy services, implementation of drug utilization programs, participates in the development and revision of clinical care guidelines, and assists with pharmacy operations. They oversee decentralized pharmacy practice and medication use systems, dedicated patient service lines and patient-centered pharmaceutical care services, and related specialty patient care areas requiring pharmacy support.
They directly manage medication safety systems, regulatory compliance initiatives, and patient quality and disease outcomes programs. This leader manages the activities of pharmacists and technicians who work within their areas and oversees the daily staffing and pharmacist coverage of patient care service lines and care areas.
As a member of the pharmacy management team, the Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services is accountable for the financial performance and budgetary adherence of their areas. They actively manage human, capital, and operational resources to support patient care services, medication safety systems, regulatory compliance initiatives, and quality assurance programs. The Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services sets and models the standard for excellence for clinical pharmacy practice and designs pharmacy programs to collaboratively advance the Comprehensive Pharmacy Practice model.
Who you are:
- Doctor of Pharmacy required from an ACPE accredited College of Pharmacy.
- MBA, MHA, or other advanced degree highly preferred.
- Eligible for licensure as a pharmacist in the state of Illinois.
- Must complete licensure process within 60 days of employment.
- Completion of ASHP accredited PGY-1 and PGY-2 Specialty Pharmacy or PGY-2 Health-System Pharmacy Administration residency required.
- Board Certification in BPS is required within 18 months of hire.
- 8 years of clinical and operational pharmacy experience, to include a minimum of 5 years in a hospital setting.
- Pharmacy leadership experience required, with formal leadership training or supervisory experience preferred.
- Demonstrated contributions to excellence in clinical pharmacy as evidenced through publications or poster presentations that have made a difference in clinical outcomes.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Effective project management skills.
What you’ll gain as Director, Clinical Pharmacy Services:
- Opportunity to work at a world-class organization, engaging numerous stakeholders, with the mission of providing a strong clinical vision for the future of clinical pharmacy services.
What you’ll do as the Director, Clinical Pharmacy Services:
- Manages assigned pharmacy programs, patient service lines, therapeutic programs, and practice areas.
- Leads and manages pharmacy staff to include Specialist Pharmacists and Clinical Coordinators in the areas of Critical Care, Medicine, Infectious Disease, Transplant, OR and Anesthesia, and the Adult ED.
- Delivers direct patient care and clinical practice, including decentralized and service-based programs.
- Provides pharmaceutical services throughout medical center by maintaining proficiency in hospital computer systems and medication ordering systems
- Facilitates experiential education and practice advancement.
- Collaborates with offsite clinical programs to ensure alignment of clinical initiatives deployed by UCMC.
- The Director functions as a member of the decentralized clinical pharmacy program and as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
E4 Leadership (Equity, Engage, Evolve, Excel) is a patient centered management system that empowers teams to improve on a daily basis. This is done through daily readiness huddles, real time process monitoring, performance review huddles and structured problem solving. E4 Leadership is an evolving system where leaders work together to cultivate a culture of equity and continuous improvement that enables:
- Each person to realize their full potential for contribution
- The organization to achieve high performance outcomes
- System-wide integration, coordination, and seamless execution
- Clear focus on exceptional, equitable patient care and experiences.
As part of the leadership team, this position will be instrumental in reinforcing and sustaining UCM’s E4 Leadership Culture.
Must comply with UCMC’s COVID-19 Vaccination requirement as a condition of employment. If you have already received the vaccination, you must provide proof as part of the pre-employment process. This is in addition to your compliance with the Flu Vaccination requirement as well. Medical and religious exemptions will be considered consistent with applicable law. Lastly, a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check are also required for all employees prior to hire.
Why Join Us
We’ve been at the forefront of medicine since 1899. We provide superior healthcare with compassion, always mindful that each patient is a person, an individual. To accomplish this, we need employees with passion, talent and commitment… with patients and with each other. We’re in this together: working to advance medical innovation, serve the health needs of the community, and move our collective knowledge forward. If you’d like to add enriching human life to your profile, The University of Chicago Medicine is for you. Here at the forefront, we’re doing work that really matters. Join us. Bring your passion.
Bring your career to the next level at a hospital that is thriving; from patient satisfaction to employee engagement, we are at the Forefront of Medicine. Take advantage of all we have to offer and #BringYourPassiontotheForefront.
University of Chicago Medicine is growing; discover how you can be a part of this pursuit of excellence at: www.uchospitals.edu/jobs
The University of Chicago Medical Center is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, civil union status, parental status, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and other legally protected characteristics.
Apply at https://careers-ucm.icims.com/jobs/37835/director%2c-clinical-pharmacy-services/job