The Clinical Staff Pharmacist provides direct patient care related to medication prescribing, administration, and monitoring for patients of Carle Foundation Hospital. This individual also participates in decentralized care and focused drug studies, and will provide clinical expertise to assist the other staff pharmacists in completion of their duties.
- Assist in focused studies and drug usage evaluations as assigned.
- Assist in the development of clinical guidelines and order sets as related to appropriate drug therapy.
- Participate in decentralized care interacting with physician groups such as family practice, hospitalists, and critical care.
- Provide direct patient care by intervening as appropriate to improve prescribing, administration, and monitoring practices in the facility as related to medications.
- Represent the pharmacy on committees or work groups as assigned.
- Interpret physician medication orders and send the appropriate medication in a timely and accurate manner.
- Screen medication orders for potential interactions with other medications, diet orders, disease state, or stated allergies.
- Supervise the technicians in the preparation and dispensing of medications and parenterals.
- Make dose recommendations based on age, weight and clearance function.
- Assist in the training and orientation of all new employees as assigned.
- Provide accurate and complete accounting of all controlled substances.
- Provide Medication Therapy Management Services as defined in the Illinois Pharmacy Practice Act.
- Performs utilization management reviews.
- Serves as drug information resource for other departments.
- Conduct medication reconciliation, perform clinical interventions, uncover adverse drug reactions, and refer patients to pertinent clinics (i.e. anticoagulation).