Cardiology Clinical Pharmacy Specialist
- University of Rochester
- Rochester, New York
- Competitive with full benefits
- Closing date
- Jun 18, 2022
- Position Type
- Clinical Pharmacist
- Specialty Area
- Work Setting
- Health System
The Cardiology Clinical Pharmacy Specialist is responsible for the provision of comprehensive clinical pharmacy services for inpatients at the University of Rochester Medical Center. This individual serves as a resource for the interprofessional team and other pharmacists. Participation on multi-disciplinary rounds including pharmacokinetic and therapeutic consultation will be performed. The pharmacist will apply comprehensive medication management principles to optimize outcomes in a patient- and family-centered approach. Prepares, compounds, and dispenses prescriptions and medications for patients of SMH (pediatric, adult, geriatric) in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations for Pharmacy practice.
The clinical pharmacy specialist serves as a leader for the department in their specialty area of practice, organizing appropriate departmental initiatives and providing education and teaching for pharmacy colleagues, providers and trainees at all levels of practice. The clinical pharmacy specialist will also have a working knowledge of the operational aspects of the department and will contribute to the overall objectives of the department as an integrated member of the pharmacy practice team.
Clinical Pharmacy Practice:
- Provide comprehensive clinical pharmacy services for a specialized area of pharmacy practice including:
- Participation on inter-disciplinary patient care team rounds as appropriate to the specialty
- Consultative input on safe and effective drug therapy
- Daily management of established clinical pharmacy programs or services
- Monitors assigned patient populations for clinical progress including renal/hepatic function, culture results, and other applicable laboratory tests. Recommends adjustments to therapy as necessary.
- Patient education and discharge counseling
- Authorizing/verifying orders
- Supervising drug distribution when appropriate and required
- Document clinical pharmacy activities as appropriate in the medical record or other systems (e.g. event reporting system).
- Work collaboratively with other clinicians and health-care providers to implement and maintain innovative disease or medication management programs and clinical pharmacy services
- Participate in the development of global medication use management programs within the University of Rochester Medical Center including clinical guidelines, critical pathways, disease management and drug use programs
- Provide clinical leadership in area of specialty by serving as a mentor, coach and role model for all pharmacists in the department. Recognize the need for mentoring and education and reach out in a positive and constructive way to facilitate learning and professional growth.
- Direct and supervise the work of technicians to ensure appropriate workflow as required.
- Verbal communication to all hospital staff is conducted in an effective and professional manner.
- Conduct of QA, MUE, or other research to document the value and contribution of clinical pharmacy services at URMC within area of specialization.
- Participates in departmental Q/A processes such as reporting and following up on medication incidents, reconciling MARs, and cost-savings initiatives etc.
- Maintains a personal and professional commitment to the training of future generations of pharmacists as exemplified by:
- Serving as a preceptor for pharmacy residency training programs offered at the University of Rochester Medical Center
- Contributing to student training experiences for IPPE and APPE rotations as assigned
- Providing didactic lectures, case studies and other interactive teaching programs to pharmacy students, pharmacy residents, and pharmacists.
- Provides didactic lectures to various divisions and departments of the medical center as requested including nursing, medical/surgical residents and students training in allied health professions
- Thoroughly resolves problems with appropriate and direct communication to all pertinent staff in a clear and concise manner.
- Proactive in identifying patient care problems and does not pass on problems to the next shift without exhausting reasonable attempts at resolution and communicating progress.
- Problem solving will often go beyond patient-specific issues, and may require participation on interdisciplinary teams or revising hospital or departmental policy, procedures or treatment guidelines.
- Contacts supervisor for assistance when solution is beyond his/her expertise or authority.
- Active membership and participation in local, regional and national professional organizations in clinical pharmacy and/or specialty areas of practice. Presentation of clinical education or research results at local, regional and/or national meetings. Provision of continuing professional education to peers in the community, region, and/or nationally. Recognition of expertise in specialty area of practice at a local and national level. Service on departmental, hospital or medical center committees or task forces.
Must be licensed or eligible for licensure in New York State and meet the following criteria:
- Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Advanced training (residency, fellowship, and/or board certification) or equivalent experience.
The University of Rochester offers a full benefits package including, but not limited to, retirement, health insurance, disability insurance, paid time off, and relocation package. A full detail of benefits is available at: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/benefits/
About The University of Rochester:
The University of Rochester Medical Center – Strong Memorial Hospital is located in Rochester, NY on the shores of Lake Ontario. Strong Memorial Hospital is an 886-bed quaternary referral center which includes the region’s Level 1 trauma center, transplant center, comprehensive stroke center, Wilmot Cancer Institute, Golisano Children’s Hospital, heart center, and many other specialty and subspecialty services. It is the main teaching site for the University of Rochester medical and nursing students and is an important training site for pharmacy students from several schools of pharmacy including St. John Fisher College Wegmans School of Pharmacy, the University at Buffalo, and D’Youville College. The hospital is seeking a Cardiology Clinical Pharmacy Specialist whose scope of responsibilities include clinical service, teaching, research, and clinical leadership.
Rochester is made for living! It has small city charm, with a big city vibe. There are 35 museums and galleries. Music of all types and description is prevalent – inspired by the world-renowned Eastman School of Music and spurred on by the popular Rochester International Jazz Festival, innumerable clubs, and performance venues. It is ranked as the best minor league sports market in the nation; and sports fans gravitate just as eagerly toward the NFL Buffalo Bills and the Orangemen of Syracuse University—both nearby. That is when they are not golfing, hiking, biking, skiing, boating, or otherwise enjoying the outdoor life so readily available in this region.
Five public high schools in the metropolitan area are ranked among the 100 best high schools in America and Child and Family magazine calls Rochester one of the best places to raise a child in the U.S. Economically, Rochester ranks 5th among 300 metro areas for high-tech employment, and has two times the national average of scientists, engineers, and technical specialists living in its metro area.
To apply for this position, go to the following website and search for position 237534 (Pharmacist-Clinical Spec II - Cardiology: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/jobs/
For additional position information, contact Travis Dick, Director of Clinical Pharmacy Practice, Research, and Education at Travis_Dick@URMC.Rochester.edu
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert