Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Clinical Pharmacist provides comprehensive pharmaceutical care for patients. This consists of ensuring drug therapy that results in safe, effective, and cost conscious use of pharmaceuticals. Must demonstrate excellent interdisciplinary communication and exhibit strong educational and precepting abilities.
- Actively participates in organizational and departmental performance improvement efforts to strengthen existing systems, processes, policies and procedures by introducing new ideas that lead to improved pharmaceutical care in clinical areas and in the pharmacy department as a whole.
- Actively participates on the multidisciplinary team by consistently attending patient care rounds and providing patient – focused pharmaceutical care by assessing and monitoring drug therapy to ensure safe and cost – conscious treatment regimens.
- Actively supports department staffing needs by flexing to other areas or alternative scheduling in order to assist in coverage of supplemental shifts when primary team is in need.
- Assures timely medication order processing by participating in order entry, order verification and reviewing medication orders for timely resolution of problem orders.
- Completes patient-specific medication profile reviews resulting in execution of protocol based drug therapy including, but not limited to pharmacokinetic dosing and IV to PO conversions with appropriate documentation. Adjusts doses as appropriate for patient specific parameters such as renal or hepatic dysfunction.
- Continually reports medication incidents and adverse drug reactions in Patient Safety Net (PSN) and participates in medication incident review, peer review, or other activities to establish safe medication systems.
- Participates in medication reconciliation at the time of admission, transfer, and/or discharge and provides patient education when appropriate.
- Shares pharmaceutical expertise by coordinating and providing educational presentations or in-services for pharmacy and non-pharmacy staff.
- Supports pharmacy residency programs, clerkship students and interns by precepting organized rotations, providing timely and constructive feedback, participating in training and orientation, providing mentorship, and collaborating on presentations and projects.