Inpatient Clinical Manager- Hematology/Oncology/BMT
- Rush University Medical Cener
- Chicago, Illinois
- Commensurate with experience
- Closing date
- Jun 19, 2022
- Position Type
- Specialty Area
- Administration, Hematology / Oncology
- Work Setting
- Health System
The Inpatient Clinical Manager- Hematology/Oncology/BMT maintains responsibility and oversight for quality comprehensive pharmaceutical care provided by pharmacists and technicians servicing the division of oncology, including the malignant hematology services, inpatient and outpatient stem cell therapy service, medical oncology service, gynecology/oncology service and other clinical specialty teams as assigned. The scope shall primarily include day-to-day responsibility for oncology clinical teams composed of clinical specialists or unit/satellite-based pharmacists in the inpatient and outpatient settings for both adult and pediatric populations. Additional responsibilities include operations of the chemotherapy hazardous IV room and the pharmacy technicians that work primarily in that satellite, functional knowledge of oncology clinical trials impacting the clinical services or chemotherapy operations and management of other clinical specialist teams as assigned. The selected candidate will be responsible for coordinating and collaborating with outpatient oncology pharmacy leadership. This individual exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate pharmacy services for the malignant hematology services, stem cell therapy service, medical oncology service, gynecology/oncology service, and oncology clinical trials service and other clinical services as assigned.
- Lead the development of pharmacy integration within the patient admission approvals process with a focus on drug cost optimization.
- Provide leadership for the oncology clinical & operations pharmacy division, actively maintaining knowledge in support of clinical practice and chemotherapy operations including maintaining accreditation standards for hazardous IV rooms
- Serve as a resource for clinical and operational staff when cytotoxic therapy is required outside of the oncology units.
- Maintain subject matter expertise of regulatory standards (USP 800) and collaborate with sterile products pharmacy team in areas related to ordering, storage, preparation, dispensing, and administration of hazardous medications.
- Ensure oncology clinical services and chemotherapy operations are consistent with best practices and regulatory requirements; participate in accreditation surveys related to oncology, pharmacy, and general hospital services.
- Maintain interdisciplinary relationships in relevant areas to support safe and effective medication use.
- Collaborate with informatics personnel to optimize use of technology in operations and clinical workflows.
- Plan performance improvement initiatives relating to medication use and safety.
- Serve as an active member of Pharmacy Department leadership team(s) to ensure effective cross-collaboration between inpatient and outpatient, oncology and non-oncology services and other clinical areas as assigned.
- Perform outcomes research documenting drug therapy quality and the impact of pharmacy services in oncology.
- Assist in annual evaluation and strategic planning of pharmacy services.
- Maintain a leadership role in continual transformation of pharmacy practice, information systems, and facilities.
- Encourage and support oncology pharmacy staff with developing individual plans for continuing professional development.
- Support residency and experiential education programs, including precepting and program management when applicable.
- Serve as a mentor for pharmacy staff.
- Serve as a member of the Pharmacy Operations Committee.
- Serve as a member of the Pharmacy, Nutrition, and Therapeutics Committee or other relevant pharmacy department or organizational committees.
- Serve as a member or select a designee for the Oncology Quality Improvement/Assurance Committees.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert