Pharmacy Clinical Specialist – Internal Medicine
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital
At Houston Methodist, the Pharmacy Clinical Specialist is responsible for performing advanced clinical pharmacy duties enabling the delivery of optimal pharmacotherapy to patients and facilitating safe, efficacious, and pharmacoeconomically rational use of medications in the population(s) served. This involves daily reactive and targeted proactive medication regimen reviews for patients within the designated area(s) of responsibility or populations served. The Pharmacy Clinical Specialist supports the delivery of pharmacy managed protocols, formulary processes and medication reconciliation activities while providing education to fellow pharmacists, nurses, medical staff. Additional duties include precepting pharmacy students and pharmacy residents on clinical patient care rotations within areas of responsibility and contributing to fulfilling the organization’s mission to provide innovative, personalized, cost-effective pharmaceutical care in a culture dedicated to quality and safety.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
- Serves as a rotation preceptor for students from affiliated colleges of pharmacy and PGY1 or PGY2 pharmacy residents as well as being a mentor for staff pharmacists supporting clinical skill advancement. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Processes all orders/requests accurately and efficiently, verifying appropriateness of all drugs in reference to the patient’s diagnosis, allergies, height and weight. Exercises good judgment in patient care decisions per performance standard and documents patient care activities and patient outcomes impacted by pharmaceutical care and clinical interventions. (EF)
- Provides patient-specific and non-patient specific drug information support regularly. (EF)
- Serves as a member on one or more Medical Staff Committees and actively contributes to accomplishing the goals of the committee. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 40%
- Collaborates with other health care professionals to manage patient’s drug therapy for maximal effectiveness while minimizing side effects, adverse drug reactions, toxicities, drug interactions, and incompatibilities using established internal and external guidelines. (EF)
- Provides pharmaceutical care at the fundamental to advanced level for patients within the designated practice area(s). Activities include, but are not limited to, proactive drug therapy reviews and monitoring, patient counseling, transitions of care management including medication acquisition process support, and management of pharmacist-based dosing protocols. (EF)
- Participates in quality management initiatives such as, but not limited to: medication use evaluations, adverse drug reaction and medication error reporting, clinical interventions, medication center reviews, and inventory management documentation and reporting. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Contributes to the provision of pharmacoeconimically sound medication therapy by upholding HM Formulary standards in area(s) of responsibility and avoiding medication-related complications. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time; effectively prioritizing tasks for self and for others within the specialty area of focus. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Presents in-services for pharmacy, medical, nursing, and other staff members in area(s) of responsibility. Develops educational materials and provides educational programs for the pharmacy staff and other hospital personnel. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand one’s learning beyond fundamental competencies with a focus on continual development as a Clinical Specialist. (EF)
- Contributes to the design, analysis and reporting of quality improvement program findings.
- Participates in research projects to advance organizational quality of care and the pharmacy profession. Submits research and scholarly work for publication, platform presentations, and/or poster presentations.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certifications, Licenses and Registrations section
- Must have one of the following:
- Successful completion of an ASHP-accredited post-graduate year one (PGY1) residency training program or equivalent experience (i.e., three years of pharmacy experience per residency year) required; ASHP-accredited post-graduate year two (PGY2) or fellowship preferred
- Three years of clinical practice experience
- Meets HM standards of an ASHP-Qualified Residency Preceptor within one year of employment
- Prior experience working with Internal Medicine is strongly preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas Pharmacist License or eligible for Texas Pharmacist License; must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 90 days of employment
- American Heart Association Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification within 90 days of employment
- American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) within 90 days of employment for pharmacists regularly assigned to respond to code blue events (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification and training within 90 days of employment as determined by entity need (See manager for details and tracking certification information)
- Texas Pharmacist Preceptor Certification within 90 days of employment
- Sterile Compounding and Aseptic Technique (SCAT) and horizontal and/or vertical use Certification within 90 days of employment (*If verifying and/or preparing any sterile product- See manager for details and tracking certification information)
- Houston Methodist Hospital Research Institute Certificate within 90 days of employment (See manager for details and tracking information)
- Board of Pharmacy Specialist (BPS) Certification preferred
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.