The Chair is the immediate supervisor and academic leader of the pharmaceutical and biomedical faculty. The Chair derives responsibility as delegated by the Dean. The Chair is charged with the achievement of the College’s mission, goals and objectives at the department level. As such, the Chair supervises the day‐to‐day operation of the department and coordinates the long‐term development of its faculty. The Chair works closely with the administration in planning and executing the annual budget.
The position requires flexibility, adaptability and creativity. This person must demonstrate excellent communication skills, superior organizational and customer service skills, responsive to directives and a commitment to the mission and development of the College.
The Chair is the academic and administrative leader for the department. His/her abilities in this role should be demonstrated by example wherever possible. The Chairperson should exemplify the same interest, activity and high standards of teaching, scholarly activity, research, and service that are expected of faculty.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- The Chair will meet regularly with the leadership team to accomplish the work of the College.
- The Chair will work in a collegial and effective manner with the other Chairs and Deans for the mission and advancement of the college.
- The Chair will hold at least monthly Pharmaceutical & Biomedical Sciences Meetings to discuss the operational and professional needs of the department.
- The Chair is responsible for the evaluation and improvement of all teaching of the department, although the specific activities can be delegated to individual faculty.
- Faculty Development - The Chair develops the professional potential of each faculty member of the department so that those individual and organizational goals can be achieved. He/she assesses the strengths and weakness of each faculty member and provides individual assistance in needed areas of advice and counsel or arranges for assistance as appropriate.
- Research - The Chair is responsible for promoting and supporting research in the department. He/she will represent the research needs of the basic science faculty to the administration and will insure that faculty members have protected time for research. The Chair will keep records of the research productivity of the department.
- Evaluation of Faculty Performance - The Chairperson ensures that regular evaluation of all aspects of faculty performance is carried out. He/she serves as an immediate source of recognition and reward for faculty accomplishments and brings these accomplishments to the attention of peers and other appropriate individuals or groups in the Institution.
- Service Activities - The Chairperson ensures active participation of departmental faculty including him/herself on COP committees, in admissions interviews and in other service activities of the COP.
- The Chair actively teaches in didactic courses and laboratory sessions, coordinates courses, and participates in remediation.
- Perform other assignments as requested by the dean.
Education, Preparation, and Training
Pharm.D., Pharm.D. with Residency or Fellowship, Pharm.D./Ph.D., or Ph.D. in a biomedical field – Pharmacology or Clinical Pharmacology preferred
- Extensive experience in research and scholarship
- Track record of grant funding and research publications
- Working knowledge of pharmacy school curricula and familiarity with the ACPE accreditation process, as they relate to curriculum, assessment and faculty development
- Knowledge of research and scholarship in the pharmaceutical and biomedical sciences
- Ability to network effectively to form alliances with local, state, regional and national colleagues
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize work
- Proficient communication and interpersonal skills
- Organizational and management skills
- Must be articulate and professional (demonstrated proficiency in writing, organization and editing)
- Extensive Use of Computers
- Extensive time sitting and standing
- Able to lift up to 5 lbs.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook