Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP), the first ACPE-accredited School of Pharmacy in Orange County, California, seeks excellent candidates for a leadership position as the Department Chair of Pharmacy Practice. Located in beautiful Orange County, California, the School is rapidly growing in all areas of innovative teaching, practice, and basic and translational research, with excellent state-of-the-art facilities. More information about CUSP is available at http://www.chapman.edu/pharmacy/.
The Department Chair of Pharmacy Practice will hold line supervisory authority of, and primary responsibility for the success of the tenure track and non-tenure track clinical practice faculty as well as Adjunct and any part time faculty within the CUSP Department of Pharmacy Practice consisting of approximately 20 full time faculty. The Chair is also a member of the leadership team of the Chapman University School of Pharmacy. The Chair will work with the Dean and the Senior Leadership Council to design, develop and implement the organization, strategies, policies and procedures that deliver a superior programmatic, student learning, faculty development and performance assessment program within the School of Pharmacy. This position is classified as an faculty position with an administrator appointment. The appropriate rank will be determined based on experience and academic credentials. The position includes limited requirements for the teaching, service and scholarship delivery.
The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University is available at https://www.chapman.edu/diversity.
- Provide an annual appraisal of each department faculty members strengths, weaknesses, accomplishments and progress toward promotion.
- Individually mentor junior faculty and develop a faculty mentoring program to aid with personal and professional development toward promotion.
- Provide interim, critical year and promotion appraisal letters when needed.
- Assign Department faculty to course coordinator and instructor roles in courses identified by the Office of Academic Affairs.
- Allocate resources and workload fairly.
- Conduct department meetings effectively by encouraging open expression of ideas and building consensus in the group.
- Work with EEO to identify practice sites suitable for students and faculty-in-residence.
- Recommend to the Dean faculty to Department and CUSP standing committees.
- Work with the Director of Residency and Fellowships to develop, support and maintain these post-graduate training programs.
- Support the planning, development, oversight and administration, including operational, financial and advancement activities, of the School of Pharmacy Department of Pharmacy Practice.
- Actively participate in the efforts of maintaining accreditation for CUSP.
- Participate in the development and implementation of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning.
- Provide strong representation of the Department at the institutional and professional level, including AACP and other professional associations.
- Assist the senior leadership team in recruiting, hiring, mentoring and supervising highly qualified and motivated faculty, team of professionals and support staff that interact with faculty and the CUSP leadership to deliver programmatic and curricular strategic plans.
- Assist in developing the annual CUSP and Department budget as well as ongoing management of the department budget.
- Work with the faculty to develop and deliver an innovative, personalized, interdisciplinary and integrated curriculum.
- Assist the senior leadership and the Chapman University administration in identifying, recruiting and further develop high quality, diverse, self-reflective and compassionate students.
- Work with the Senior Leadership Council to lead the faculty in the design, development and implementation of a comprehensive, continuous, and cumulative learning outcomes and competency assessment program which is integral to curriculum development from the start and uses leading technical solutions (e.g. ExamSoft, RxInsider Outcomes, Portfolio and Preceptor products) to manage, secure and document the processes.
- Assist in the development and publication of an annual SOP strategic plan, program progress assessment, student learning achievement and overall program report.
Teaching and Scholarship:
- Serve as an exemplary educator.
- Conduct research and scholarly activities, and professional service at levels appropriate for administrators with the CUSP leadership.
- Work with the Senior leadership to identify professional development opportunities for faculty to improve their teaching and scholarship skills.
- Review with faculty their student evaluations and ways to improve performance.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean.
- Eligible for pharmacist license in California (must achieve and hold a CA license within 1 year).
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience and minimum five years of work experience as a faculty member in a School or College of Pharmacy.
- Academic experience at the rank of associate or full professor.
- Previous experience with leadership or management.
- Experience in curriculum development, educational assessment, and significant publication history in these or the scientific or practice area associated with the advanced degree preferred.
- Experience in working with ACPE, regional higher education accreditation standards organizations and CAPE or similar professional outcomes statements preferred.
- Professional and organization management preferred.
- Budgeting experience preferred.
- Prior administrative leadership and communications, planning, budget management operational management experience including P&L management responsibility.
- Postgraduate training or board certification, with pharmacy practice experience.
Qualified applicants should electronically submit a letter of intent, faculty employment application, curriculum vitae, and a list of three current references, including their contact information to:
Dr. Laura Tsu
Search Committee Chair
Application documents may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
General inquiries may be directed to Dr. Tsu at email@example.com.
Application review will begin immediately.
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications. Chapman University offers a relocation expense reimbursement package. Successful completion of a background check is required for the final candidate.
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Chapman University, One University Drive, Orange, CA 92866 Human Resources Department