Responsible for directing, coordinating and supervising all aspects of inpatient pharmacy services within the location, either Sunnyside Medical Center or Westside Medical Center. This position is accountable for the provision of safe, appropriate, accessible, cost effective, high quality pharmaceutical care within the acute care facility assigned. Accountable for a broad spectrum of operational and organizational activities. Must collaborate with all disciplines in hospital to administer safe and effective pharmaceutical care for every patient of the hospital. The Pharmacy Director is responsible for the pharmaceutical care for every patient (inpatient or outpatient) registered in that facility. This position is accountable for compliance with federal and state laws, and TJC regulations and standards regarding the provision of pharmaceutical services, regional pharmacy objectives and goals, policies and procedures. Additionally, accountable for area-wide program design, implementation, maintenance and evaluation responsibilities e.g. pharmacy improvement projects, acts as assistant to NW Director of Inpatient Pharmacy, and assists in mentoring new supervisors, managers and exempt staff.
- Serves as the hospital's Chief Medication Safety officer, overseeing all aspects of pharmaceutical care within the hospital. Organize, supervise and operate location inpatient pharmacy services in a cost effective manner; develop, implement and evaluate ongoing design and workflow changes that improve the daily work methods, productivity, service, and resource utilization by staff and members. Perform all aspects of budget accountability for the location; administer the operating budget for the location; assist the NW Director of Inpatient Pharmacy and other location department leaders by providing necessary resource information that could impact other cost centers. Routinely monitor ledgers, financial and productivity reports that correlate staffing, drug costs and other operating expenses with work volume. Maintain sound asset management practices and routinely communicate the importance of asset accountability. Develop, design, implement, coordinate, and evaluate area-wide programs and projects as assigned by the Regional Pharmacy Director and/or NW Director of Inpatient Pharmacy e.g. managerial mentorship, professional development, quality improvement, quality assurance, member service, etc. Accountable for implementing programs to enhance drug therapy and ensure effective and efficient methods of formulary management consistent with department and program goals, objectives, strategies and missions with support from the NW Regional IP Pharmacy Clinical Coordinator; mentor and develop new leaders in addition to recruitment of potential new leaders.
- Develop and retain a competent, motivated professional staff; recruit, interview, select, hire, orient, train, evaluate, counsel, discipline and terminate if necessary all pharmacy staff for the location (supervisor, manager, technicians, pharmacist-in-charge, pharmacists, pharmacy assistants, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns) in accordance with organizational, legal, regulatory, organized labor and quality of life standards, policies and regulations. Direct the provision of satisfying pharmacy services to all Kaiser Permanente members; monitor and sustain pharmacy services in compliance with state and federal laws, all regulatory bodies, established quality standards and organizational service standards e.g. The Service and Behavior Guidelines. Implement and monitor member satisfaction measures. Personally investigate, respond and resolve member inquiries and concerns within the location with support from the NW Regional IP Pharmacy Quality Coordinator.
- Integrate and effectively coordinate location pharmacy services with other departments, physicians, other health care professionals and medical office/medical center administration; maintain a productive, collaborative working relationship within the department and the facility; identify and report issues identified as expanding beyond location boundaries; assist the NW Director of Inpatient Pharmacy in resolving such issues where appropriate. With support from the NW Regional IP Pharmacy Quality Coordinator, develop, implement, mentor and evaluate ongoing quality assurance and quality improvement monitors; reports outliers to the NW Director of Inpatient Pharmacy; initiate action (s) to address outliers and return them to compliance with established quality standards as defined at the location and/or departmental level. Maintain a contemporary professional knowledge of pharmacy practice; provide routine operational support to insure a clear understanding of daily work group/ work flow issues; maintain requisite pharmacy licensure. Develop and implement programs that support the department's strategic plan and the Program's quality of care objectives and strategies.
- Maintain a contemporary knowledge of managerial techniques and skills that insure quality first-line supervision of staff assets. Maintain a contemporary knowledge of safety and security laws, standards and regulations; identify and remedy risks and hazards associated with the work performed; develop safety and security procedures for the workplace within the context of organizational and departmental policies. Identify, justify and procure necessary equipment and supplies needed to perform the daily work by staff; manage capital equipment budgets for location' provide expert consultation to the NW Director of Inpatient Pharmacy in designing, remodeling, renovating and equipping the location pharmacy (s) work space (s).
- Minimum five (5) years of contemporary pharmacy practice; preferably in a comparable pharmaceutical setting.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience with first line supervision or comparable leadership experience with direct reports in a comparable pharmaceutical setting.
- Bachelor's or Pharm.D. degree in pharmacy.
License, Certification, Registration
- Current Oregon or Washington Pharmacy license in state where assigned required within six (6) months of hire/transfer.
- Documented experience in program development, implementation and assessment.
- Thorough working knowledge of state and federal pharmacy laws, regulatory requirements including Joint Commission requirements and professional practice standards.
- Thorough knowledge of contemporary inpatient pharmacy practice.
- Working knowledge of principles of supervision, personnel management, contract administration, financial analysis, asset management and auditing techniques.
- Demonstrated contemporary inpatient pharmacy skills and vision.
- Demonstrated and proven communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use good judgment and decision making while coping in a stressful, busy environment daily; ability to respond calmly, courteously and effectively in stressful situation.
- Demonstrated ability to plan for and organize the daily work with limited resources and time.
- Demonstrated time management skills.
- Demonstrated effective professional role-model.
- Demonstrated ability to lead professionals and others through influence and collaboration.
- Minimum five (5) years of supervisory experience, preferably in a comparable pharmaceutical setting.
- Previous leadership position at Kaiser Permanente e.g. location supervisor, pharmacist-in-charge, pharmacist specialist.
- Pharmacy licensure in Washington and Oregon.
- Thorough knowledge of supervisory/managerial techniques and skills.
- Current working knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, and labor agreements.
- General knowledge of business practices in a prepaid group practice setting.
- Working knowledge of all automated systems (Epic, Phone Systems, Bergen)
- Demonstrated keyboarding skills.
- Demonstrated ability to cope with stressful, busy environment with a professional, controlled demeanor.
- Postgraduate business, pharmacy or management degree, certification or residency.
Primary Location: Oregon,Hillsboro,Westside Hospital
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40
Working Hours Start: 08:00 AM
Working Hours End: 05:00 PM
Job Schedule: Full-time
Job Type: Standard
Employee Status: Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation: NUE-NW-01|NUE|Non Union Employee
Job Level: Director/Senior Director
Department: Westside Medical Cntr - Inpatient Pharmacy-1 - 1001
Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.