Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi (CCAD) Executive Director, Pharmacy
The Executive Director, Pharmacy provides high level leadership, strategic direction and advocacy in the management of Pharmacy services at CCAD. Reporting to the CMO, the Executive Director, Pharmacy develops the overall strategy and plan for the support and delivery of operations of pharmacy programs and services to achieve the vision for CCAD, including outcomes and workforce issues at a strategic and tactical level. This position is also responsible for planning, directing and coordinating the activities of the pharmacy to ensure efficient, innovative and cost-effective pharmacy service.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of the annual strategic plan and ensures effective mechanisms for the involvement of the Division’s leadership team in decision making
- Provides strategic leadership in facilitating compliance with operational standards and regulations, through assessment and monitoring of Pharmacy practices, processes and systems
- Responsible for all operational aspects of the Inpatient and Outpatient pharmacy, including leading and continuously enhancing the effectiveness of Patient and Provider Access functions for the Cleveland Clinic.
- Plans, implements and manages the provision of pharmaceutical care in all pharmacies and patient care areas
- Coordinates operations among pharmacies and patient care areas to ensure appropriate levels of program offerings, access and consistent levels of service quality, regulatory compliance and financial performance.
- Ensures the cost-effectiveness of pharmacy service provisions and operations throughout CCAD.
- Ensures consistent compliance with applicable legislative, regulatory and/or accreditation standards relating to pharmaceuticals within pharmacies and other patient care areas.
- Enables the appropriate placement, facilitation and expedition of all pharmacy flow transactions, including direct and emergency patient admissions and transfers, in accordance with established clinical standards.
- Oversees the preparation and dispensing of medications.
- Develops standards and takes necessary actions to ensure the consistency and quality of pharmaceutical care and customer service.
- Works with patients and professional staff to design and implement therapy plans to produce specific therapeutic outcomes for patients.
- Manages purchasing activities to ensure adequate supplies and drug inventory, adhereing to regulatory and financial compliance.
- Ensures adequate staffing levels to provide safe and effective pharmacy services.
- Reviews and advocate changes jointly with Quality Management team on how to implement them and provide training, tools and techniques to enable caregivers to achieve quality standards and practice in a safe manner.
- Contributes to the development of the strategic and operational planning across CCAD in line with regional Healthcare strategy and Health Authority Abu Dhabi.
- Work closely with Hospital, Administration, Physicians and other key stakeholders, to identify new and emerging approaches to enhancing pharmacy access for patients. Responsible for executing the overall direction and strategy to build strong centralized support teams.
- Organize functions of department through appropriate assignment of responsibilities, delegation of authority and overall direction of workflow processes.
- Supports recruitment activities including candidate screening, participating in interview selection and the onboarding of new staff. Participates in retention activities
- Develops and sustains documented evidence of performance and maintenance of skills consistent with the position.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college of Pharmacy is required
- Masters degree of a related clinical degree or in a Healthcare/Management/Administration field is required
- PharmD is preferred
- 15+ years of progressively responsible leadership experience in Pharmacy with a minimum of ten (10) years experience as a hospital pharmacist and a minimum of three (3) years experience in a senior position in a tertiary acute care hospital is required
- Experience leading and influencing peers in an organization and inspiring others to achieve organizational goals
- Proven capability with implementing successful change initiatives in a large healthcare setting
- Managerial and/or supervisory experience is required
- Experience handling large budgets.
Certification and Licensure:
- Current national license is required
Job Specific Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to coordinate, make decisions and meet deadlines in a detail-oriented manner
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to speak and write in English is required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to speak and write in both English and Arabic is preferred
Samuel Calabrese, MBA, RPh, FASHP
Chief Pharmacy Officer
Apply for Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi (CCAD) Executive Director, Pharmacy
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly