The College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, Department of Pharmacy Practice at South Dakota State University is seeking applicants for a Department Head of Pharmacy Practice. This position is responsible for academic leadership and administrative management of the Department in support of the mission and goals of the Department, College and University. This person is a member of the College’s Executive Team, reporting to the Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, and will receive an academic appointment within the Department. This is a 12-month, full-time, benefit-eligible, faculty position and is located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Bordering Iowa and Minnesota, Sioux Falls is in the “Heart of America.” Conveniently located at the junction of Interstates 90 and 29 on the banks of the Big Sioux River. As South Dakota’s largest city, it is within a day’s drive of most major Midwestern cities.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to and/or coordinate course offerings that address the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities include guiding the department regarding professional education, research/scholarly activities, service, and faculty recruitment and development. An understanding of and commitment to SDSU diversity and inclusion initiatives is expected. The Department of Pharmacy Practice consists of over 20 faculty and one staff member.
As the Department Head for Pharmacy Practice, expectations are based on these approximate percentages of responsibilities:
- (50%) Administrative leadership to the Department of Pharmacy Practice.
- (30%) Instruction to support the academic programs of the College.
- (10%) Research and scholarship contributions related to student affairs activities and/or scholarship of teaching and learning.
- (10%) Service contributions to the College, University, and professional discipline.
SPECIFIC ASPECTS OF DUTIES:
- Assist in the creation and implementation of a vision for the Department of Pharmacy Practice.
- Oversee the Department’s clinical partnerships.
- Design programs targeted to improve student retention.
- Supervise and mentor the faculty and staff within the Department.
- Assess the outcomes of newly implemented initiatives in the Department.
- Respond on an ad hoc basis to student concerns and questions.
- Serve as an instructor in courses within the academic programs of the College.
- Sponsorship is not available for this position; must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Terminal degree in discipline, including PhD or PharmD., by date of application.
- A record of academic and scholarly achievements commensurate with the academic rank of associate professor or higher per department standards and BOR policy requirements.
- The ability to collaborate effectively and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- At least six years of experience as a faculty member in pharmacy or other health science discipline.
- Effective written communication skills.
- Effective verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Valid driver’s license, or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire, and willingness to travel.
- Ability to assess outcomes of initiatives.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic initiatives aimed at fulfilling the mission of a department and/or college.
- Previous leadership and management experience
- Ability to mentor faculty and staff members.
Commensurate with qualifications.
South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE AND COMMUNITY:
South Dakota State University is the state’s largest, most comprehensive university with more than 200 programs and an enrollment of approximately 12,000 students.
With approximately 50 faculty, the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions serves students enrolled in the Doctor of Pharmacy program, M.S. and Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences program, A.S. and B.S. in Respiratory Care program, and the B.S. in Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program. The College also provides administrative support and leadership for the University’s newly accredited Master of Public Health (MPH) program. The College has a strong reputation for quality educational programs in the region and around the country.
The College is housed in the state-of-the-art Avera Health and Science Center, providing 97,000 square-feet of teaching laboratory, classroom, and office space, as well as 48,000 square-feet of research laboratory space. The College also has strong academic and research collaborations with large health-care systems in the region.
SDSU offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation and the world. Its employees embrace the university’s core values of being people-centered, expanding knowledge through creativity, embracing organizational and personal integrity, commitment to diversity, and excellence through continuous improvement.
As the state’s 1862 Morrill Act land-grant institution, the work of the university is carried out on its main resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, and Aberdeen, and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across South Dakota.
SDSU was recognized as one of 54 institutions in the United States as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities in 2014. The university’s total research expenditures are greater than $60 million. SDSU is the state’s first High Research Activity institution as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Jackrabbits Athletics competes as a NCAA Division I member, with membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit League and the Big XII for wrestling.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by August 6, 2021.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this job.” This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, Curriculum Vitae, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
For questions on the position, contact search chair, Jodi Heins at 605-274-9543 or Jodi.Heins@sdstate.edu .
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdstate.edu. SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other status that may become protected in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.